SMC 2021 – Reconnecting Spaces – CALL FOR PAPERS
The 18th Sound & Music Computing Conference (SMC 2021) will be a free online event taking place between the 29th of June and the 01st of July 2021.
Following last year’s online format, SMC 2021 welcomes contributions for online presentations examining all the core topics of the Sound and Music Computing field, including but not limited to:
- Algorithms and systems for music composition
- Auditory display and data sonification
- Automatic separation, recognition, classification of sound and music
- Automatic music generation/accompaniment systems
- Computational musicology and ethnomusicology
- Content processing of music audio signals
- Digital audio effects
- Hardware systems for sound and music computing
- History and aesthetics of electroacoustic music
- Humanities in sound and music computing
- Interactive performance systems
- Interfaces for sound and music
- Languages, protocols, and software environments for sound and music computing
- Models for sound analysis and synthesis
- Multimodality in sound and music computing
- Music information retrieval
- Music performance analysis and rendering
- Perception and cognition of sound and music
- Sonic interaction design
- Sound and music for accessibility and special needs
- Sound/music and the neurosciences
- Sound/music signal processing algorithms
- Technologies for the preservation, access, and modelling of musical heritage
This year’s featured topic is “Reconnecting spaces”. The current pandemic situation has dramatically shown that the whole world is closely interconnected. At the same time, it has also demonstrated how fragile this system made up of human relations is, the same system having been abruptly interrupted and fragmented at all levels. This fragmentation still has important consequences for our community, made up of scientists working in groups distributed among several countries, and musicians, for whom reciprocal interaction is a constitutive element of their work. At the same time, we have witnessed a fast growth of connectivity, with the proliferation of online sharing tools and more generally the renewal of work logics for better or for worse.
What have we learned from this crisis? The accelerated development of network technologies can not only allow to make up for the lack of physical interaction, but it can even contribute to the establishment of new paradigms that combine real and virtual spaces. With this as the conference theme, SMC 2021 particularly welcomes contributions in:
- Networked performances
- Online audio sharing technologies
- Sound and music for augmented/virtual reality and games
- Soundscape documentation, preservation, and composition
- Spatial sound, reverberation, and virtual acoustics
- Virtual communities for sound and music collaboration
- Web Audio
Papers should be between 4 and 8 pages, written in English and not previously published. The paper submission must be in PDF and must conform to the conference template available here: Paper Submission.
Paper abstract submission deadline (strict!): March 05, 2021.
Full paper submission deadline (strict!): March 12, 2021.
All submissions will be peer-reviewed and all accepted papers will be included in the conference Proceedings. In this edition all the contributions will be presented with the same format, and there will be no distinction between posters and oral presentations. The Proceedings will have an ISBN and the electronic version will be available on the SMC website (http://smcnetwork.org/) and Zenodo (https://zenodo.org/communities/smc/).
Please note that all accepted papers will be subject to a publication fee in order to be published in the Proceedings.
Due to the uncertainty caused by this pandemic we are investigating the possibility of setting up local hubs during the conference dates allowing for in-person meetings of participants. More information will be provided in the next months.
Please follow us at https://www.facebook.com/SMC2021Conference
The SMC 2021 Chairs
Davide Andrea Mauro (email@example.com)
Simone Spagnol (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Andrea Valle (email@example.com)